Accessories

While I wait for wineador supplies to arrive, I thought we could take a quick look at my cigar accessories. For my purposes, I really only need two: a lighter and cigar cutter. I currently have two of each (not including freebies I've received as promotions).

Lighters: IM Corona Old Boy (left) and Xikar EXII Havana (right)


I originally purchased the IM Corona after some internet research that steered me away from the super hot torch lighters often sold for cigars. Those blue flame lighters can easily scorch the tobacco, making the cigar taste bitter. A soft yellow flame produced with high quality triple distilled butane is the best way (apart from a wooden match) to light a cigar. The IM Corona Old Boy had positive reviews and a great, classic look. I also like that it can be used as a pipe lighter, with a 90ยบ flame and built in tamper.

Unfortunately, the IM Corona is not windproof and that was a big issue since I only smoke outdoors. So I needed a lighter that was windproof and yellow flame. Enter the Xikar EXII: a soft flame torch lighter. It doesn't stand up to high winds like a standard blue flame torch lighter, but it does very well and I am pleased with both its looks and performance.

The IM Corona Old Boy comes in many styles. The price ranges from $130-$220, depending on the style. I got mine from Lighters Direct (http://www.lightersdirect.com/Old+Boy.819/)

The Xikar EXII also comes in several styles, all of which are $92 at Lighters Direct (http://www.lightersdirect.com/EX+II.901/)

Cigar cutters: Xikar MTX Multi Tool (left) and Xikar Xi3 Tech (right)


You need a way to open the cap of your cigar and, no, your teeth are not an option. Double bladed guillotine cutters, like my Xi3, seem to be the most popular, and that was the first one I bought. It's quick, easy and sharp. 

As part of a cigar mazo promotion, however, I was able to add on the MTX Multi Tool for $10 (regularly $50!) so I figured I would give it a try, especially since it had a screwdriver (handy for refilling my lighters) and a cigar poker (also handy for bleeding my lighters before refilling). I have to say, I really like the control I get with cigar scissors. It makes a great cut, and it's easy to shave off a little more if I'm not getting the draw I want.

The Xikar Xi cutters start at $40 and shoot all the way up to $400 (for fossil mammoth ivory handles). All of Xikar's cutters and lighters can be purchased directly from their website (http://www.xikar.com)

Wish list:

What would life be without a wish list, right? These gorgeous scissors are the Davidoff Pocket Cigar Scissors. They retail for $285. Classic and beautiful.


As for a lighter, the sky is the limit, right? I mean, this is a wish list. So I would have to go with the ST Dupont Ligne 2 Palladium plated Havana Alligator. $1990 retail. Wowzer!

No comments:

Post a Comment